View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: New to Single table lovin it

I also have just started SNGs after being a solely cash player, and I too think they're great. I've found them (in my limited sample) to be much more consistent than the cash games, presumably because everyone shares the same pressures.

As for formulaic play, I'm unconvinced, and I think you nailed the reason why. You said you were short-stacked on the bubble because of not getting good cards. The "formula" says play tight. You probably could easily work out the numbers for how often you can expect quality hands in 3 or 4 orbits of the button and get a glimpse of your long term expectation using this method.

I see better opportunities to "play the players" than at cash games, and you have 30-50 deals to get it done. In cash games, you can always recover from a misstep. I am beginning my single-table career under the assumption that characterizing and reading the players, your position, and your relative stack size is much more important than in cash games, and that your actual cards are more of an afterthought.

Eric