View Single Post
Old 11-20-2002, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Thought I had a simple question but....

O.K. so stocks are no good. But then I have read the follow-on posts and the other responses and of course this adds to my confusion, somewhat. This is the deal. I already own through two 401k plans (I work for two companies but really I don't and no I will not explain it all) a number of Funds. Throught Vanguard the S&P 500 index, windsorII and the explorer fund and through the other company's 401 k plan essentially some of the same types of funds plus an overseas investment fund. This is my "Locked in" investment money. You don't have much choice in these plans and you pick out the funds by all the cute boxes, graphs and charts etc. I usually pick a few funds that have the needle pegged all the way into the red zone (suppose to represent "risk") or at least yellow and orange. I have also purchased the last two years, Roth IRAs, and plan on doing so again next year. I buy the max and these are also locked in investments. So I was considering using about 5k or more for some fun money -to invest in some individual stocks (or bonds?) or something as a kind of experiment, to see if I could make some money while having complete control of all the investment(s).

So I will take Pokerbabes advice on the books and read up on this "stuff" and once I see that it is probably no different than a 4/8 omaha hi-lo kill game, I will jump into it with both feet. I may pop in and out with questions for awhile, and; If anyone shows interest, I will let you know what I finally invest in or decide to do. Thanks again.

-Zeno