View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: I want to learn chess.

Adam,

Lots of books out there, lots of websites. I like Chesscafe.com, read Dan Heisman's Novice's Nook column, including all the archives. Seriously. There are many good books. Lots of players like to dog SChiller, because he has put out some really crappy books, but I personally have found some of his books I Really like. For a first book, logical chess move by move by Irving Chernev is excellent. Dont worry too much about openings right now. Lots of beginners make this mistake. You also need a good book on tactical motifs, I think that Yasser Seirwan's Winning Chess Tactics is a great one to start with. Learning the basic tactical motifs and then doing problems is simply the best way to start off as a beginner.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I'm wrong, but from my current understanding of chess, it is a game of complete information (unlike poker). If I lose any particular game, it's my fault - whereas a losing session in poker could simply be due to variance even though all decisions have been +EV. I'm intrigued by the possibility of having "full control" over one's destiny in this game

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is a game of complete information in the sense that you know exactly what the balance of power is between you and your opponent. But you still have to be anticipate your opponents range of moves, which ones he is most likely to make, etc. And be aware, there is little to no sucking out in chess. The greater the distance between your rating and another players, the lesser chance you are going to luck into a win.

For practice, you can play on the Free Internet Chess Server or at the ICC (I forget what the initials stand for). FICS is free, ICC isnt unless you play anonymous. Stay away from Yahoo chess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hope this helps, good luck, chess is a very fun game.