View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Key hand in 500FPP

Hey Doc,

Tough hand. I'll tell you how I'd play it. It is different then your way, so I think it's good for the discussion.

PF: I don't really like open-limping with 22. I rather muck it or open-raise, trying to take it there. Unless it's intended to show other opponents I'm able to open-limp sometimes, so I might do it with monsters later and trap someone.

Flop: if it's checked to me, I make a nice big bet, maybe even over-betting the pot significantly. I want to push out any 4 to a flush, or make them do a mistake by calling. There's no reason, IMO, to slowplay trips here, since they are very vulnerable with this board.

Turn: that's a tough spot. My play here will depends very much on my read of him. If he called my big flop bet, and he's not a loose caller, I might have a real fear of a made-flush, and slow my play. Otherwise, I might push here and take my chances.

River: You hit your quads. If he checks to you I think it's better to bet less than what you did, since you very very much want him to call or raise, with his made flush or trips. But considering the bets on the turn, pushing here is probably fine, if you're sure he'll call it.

BTW, his hand isn't the nut-flush, very far from it, actually. That's another reason why his play was pretty bad, IMO. In his place I'd play it much more aggressively, to drive out any higher flush-draws, and to make trips (like yours) pay me right away.

Only my 2 cents,

PrayingMantis