View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: UK Poker boom update

The brits are coming

I think you've missed the boat, the Brits are already here and some have started to leave.

There is WAY too much poker on our tv as it is (Over 70 hours a week) and I think the idea of a poker channel has been recieved with more mirth than wonder.

It's been shown in the past that my sample is skewed and that I deal mainly with poker players, but you are seriously underestimating the amount of poker already played in this country.

I've played and dealt home games all my life and they have never been hard to come across.
Late night poker on channel four got more viewers than the superbowl in season one, and the superbowl was the biggest show every year in the time slot before that, and both shows were 8-10 years ago.

It is an exciting time, and it is still growing, but I think you are discovering things and creating the illusion of massive growth, rather than particuarly big growth existing.

We played poker in junior school at lunchtime, we played it in senior school at lunchtime we played it in 6th form after class.
(Actually Brag was common back then, but I think it counts for the purposes of this discussion)

I know my sample is skewed in the favor of knowing a lot of players, but yours is certainly skewed the other way.

Lori