View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Holding some back

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever/often hold some money back on a hand you think you will win, just in case you lose, so that you have enough money for a comeback if you need it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer to the question is no. However, I almost always think there is *some* chance my hand may be best -- so technically I fold *many* hands that I 'think' *could* be best (any two win, baby). It all depends on how likely it is that your hand is best (huge difference between 10%, 51% and 95%).

[ QUOTE ]

example

checked to you on the river and you are last to act

you are pretty sure you have the best hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm.... How sure are you? Super duper sure? Or like 'visions of granduer' sure?

[ QUOTE ]

if you bet and lose you will turn what would be a fairly short stack to an even shorter stack

[/ QUOTE ]

So....how playable is each stack going to be compared to the blinds??

[ QUOTE ]

[Assume you are not on the bubble yet]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok.....I'm not on the bubble...so...what are the blinds and such??

You want to be extracting the most value out of your good hands. Now, let's say you have a set on the river and you're facing a possible low/weirdo straight. Now, you know you don't have the nuts, but you're 90% sure you have the best hand. I see no reason to try and leave myself $$ left over in this situation -- I'm willing to go broke that 10% of the time when getting my $$ allin on the river.

However, let's say the board is uncoordinated and raggedy except an A. You have A4 and think your opponent very likely could have a worse pair...but also likely could have a better A. Your gut tells you he has been playing a worse pair but it's far from clear. Well, early in a tourny if I still have a playable stack I may just check here and be happy with the small pot if I win or I may put in a modest value bet (if I'm almost positive it's +CEV).

Generally I'm either check/folding on the river or raising in a manner to get all my $$ in the pot.

Yugoslav