View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 06:46 PM

Default I\'m hijacking your thread!!

At least by never winning a pot you managed to avoid the classic pokerroom newbie faux pas - forgetting to toke the dealer.

I also hit Foxwoods for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I ended up playing the 5/10 w/ a kill. Very short wait. Definitely the highest stakes I've played, but I felt totally comfortable. It was a great table which was mostly loose passive with a couple of aggro spots. Once the custom bike dude who'd been awake for 3 days showed up we were 10/20 just about every hand.

The thing about live poker is how intensely the players embody "types". Online, everything is usually such a generic blur. Except for when somebody really stands out you have to keep checking your notes to distinguish average player A from average player B. By comparison, playing live is like being in the front row of an IMAX 3D movie. The distinguished older lady in seat 4 would no sooner checkraise you than pee in your tea, and the maniac next to her is a literal maniac.

In fact, it's weird, but this was close to 3 weeks ago and I can close my eyes and see each individual person at the table:

Seat 1: Monty, your hero.
Seat 2: Ex-Sorority Girl, trying hard to play tight because she knows she should. "Tight" means all connectors from all positions only if suited.
Seat 3: Distinguished Older Man. A reasonable man who plays a reasonable game. As predictable as the hero of a Ray Davies song.
Seat 3 (later): Doughy Middle Aged Guy. Plays a lot of poker, has "lucky hand" (K9). Super loose pre-flop, passive but decent post flop. Said he folded AK in the hand where I had pocket Kings on an AKx flop. Liar.
Seat 4: Distinguised Older Lady. (see above)
Seat 5: Custom Bike Dude. Maniac. My one terrible mistake was folding top pair heads up on the river when the 4th suited card fell and he bet out. I think he had it, but it was a mistake.
Seat 6: Sharky McSharkerson. Youngish wannabe TAG, sunglasses, obvious Fwoods regular. When involved in a hand would put on a bizarre overdramatic zombie-like, no-expression game face and make robotic betting motions.
Seat 7: Sad Sack. Personal cloud, the works.
Seat 8: Ex-Frat Guy. Ex-Sorority Girl's nemesis. They were constantly snarking at each other about who was the bigger "chaser". I judged it a tie.
Seat 9: Ex-Frat Guy's sidekick. Like Ex-Frat Guy but looser and dumber.
Seat 10: Decent Black Guy. One of the few less-predictable players at the table. Too loose but consistently aggro but not maniacal. Glad I had position on him.
Dealer: there were many, but the one I remember was a pretty blonde girl who dealt me AA. I'm pretty sure she was trying to tell me something. Also, there was an old guy I forgot to toke.

For an internet player like me the psycho-dynamics of live play are almost too intense but I really, really enjoy it.

/mc