View Single Post
Old 10-12-2001, 07:25 AM

Default Re: O/8 hand ,Man, did I ever butcher this one!

I just can't understand all these posters saying that T44 is a bad/indifferent flop for A24J. You're ahead of everything except TT or T4 for heaven's sake. What were you trying to catch so that you'd be prepared to bet, just 356 444 or JJ2? The fact that there is a flush draw doesn't mean too much since a number of the cards which make the flush (A,2,3,5,6,7,8,J of diamonds) also fill you up or give you a solid low draw, and even if a flush comes on 4th street the person who has it can't make too much action on a paired board.

In addition, the backdoor low is quite valuable in a big pot like this. You're 5 or 6 to 1 against to make it, but there are already 16 small bets out there if I understand the post correctly. Note that if your low gets counterfeited, you will necessarily have a full house!

So I would say that you should raise and reraise the flop (if it becomes clear that you're beat you can fold or just try to make your backdoor low really cheaply). You should try to get out all the other backdoor lows so that you own that end of the pot, and you really really must get out all the overpairs, as the result of the hand illustrates (although from the sound of it the player with A887 would have stayed in anyway).

I'm sorry, but people who think that you should surrender this flop for a bet or two must be incapable of playing anything that's not the nuts.

Oh no!! Not again!