View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Confused about Odds in Holdem

[ QUOTE ]
1.Do I only need 2 bets in the pot BECAUSE I KNOW I AM GOING TO SEE BOTH CARDS, i.e. I am going to the river for sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of it this way. You have a 25% chance of finding your card on the turn, and 25% of hitting it on the river. 25%+25%=50%. Assuming you are committed to betting to the river, you have a 50% chance of completing your flush -- which is actually 1-1 odds, not 2-1. If you're holding Axs and shooting for a nut flush, all you really need is slightly more than one bet in the pot to break even. Your percentage chance (1/2) is not the same as odds.... spend some time studying that.

[ QUOTE ]
2. What if I miss on the turn? Do I continue to need only 2 bets in the pot or do I now need 4 bets in the pot to continue?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you miss the turn, your percentage of completing your flush is now just 25%. Your odds are 3-1. If you're betting for nut flush with Axs, you need at least 3 bets in the pot.

You definitely should pick up a couple of books on probability and odds before hitting the tables -- or, better yet, come on over to my table and I'll teach you the hard way. ;-)

In addition to Sklansky, browse the Math shelf in your local bookstore. Seriously, it's worth the time. It will improve your game and you'll find other uses for understanding probabilities and odds as well. It's fun stuff.

Best of luck.