View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Never bet the flop?

I am skimming his blog and I will just list things I think are clearly incorrect:

1. With a playing stack, I strongly advise that no matter what level you're at, you play exactly like you would in a NL ring game (assuming you can win there).

2. You should never, ever go all-in with a playable stack unless you know with 99% certainty you have the best hand. Never.

3. In EP, with the exception of KK and AA (sometimes QQ), never raise pre-flop.

4. In the last two positions, with early limpers, limp with virtually anything that has a prayer of hitting a flop, J9o, any suited, any pair, any A, etc. Don't get stupid, but if you can grab the button, all the orphan pots are belong to you.

5. You see a free flop from the big blind with QT...the flop comes Q93 and you check because you don't like the kicker. It checks around. Now a harmless looking 6 falls. You bet out and someone in late position raises you (or calls, this is debatable depending on situation). You can't call. There's no way. So, you have to give it up without taking it to showdown. Or, you take it to showdown only to find you were dominated from the start and suckered into betting a second-best hand. That's why checking through AQ on the flop could be more profitable. A flop bet almost certainly scares everyone off. A flop check and turn raise pushes the curiosity button and makes for bigger pots. In most situations, curiosity > risk of free card.

6. There are two possibilities for river play: either you know (and I mean know) you have the best hand or you don't. If you don't, you want to see the showdown for as cheap as possible.

I stopped reading after this point.