View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Never bet the flop?

Sorry if this has been seen already.

If anyone has time to read this entire strategy, I would appreciate it. I have been using it for a few days and it seems to work for me, but I wanted some feedback. Thank you.

The following was taken from:Poker Blog

This is the key to not making stupid mistakes in a NL SNG. Never, ever, bluff on the flop. If you raised pre-flop and the flop misses you, check. More on this later. If the flop hits you, you've got a decision to make...bet, raise, or fold. The key variables here are reading your opponent and the potential for scare cards. If you are not last to act on the flop, you may be best served to never bet the flop, with rare exceptions for which I think I could still justify checking (ex. TT on a 962 rainbow flop). Any time the flop is bet and called/raised, the pot has become uncontrollable and has potential to end up all-in. You will avoid this.

A good example of when it's OK to bet the flop from last position would be A7 with a flop of T73 checked to you. You need to take the stab now on the likely chance that no one has a T and just about any card that falls other than an A or 7 renders you helpless.

Betting TPTK on the flop is the fastest way to losing a big chunk of chips and you will almost never get action unless you're beat.