View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 08:57 PM

Default Re: And I Still Can\'t Play Paired Flops (help pls)

Huh? "Outplaying your opponents" is not a method of winning a poker hand. If it were, to quote Hellmuth, I guess I'd win them all. The correct second method for winning a poker hand is if all your opponents fold. My bet on the flop largely hopes to accomplish that. If I'm playing on the sort of insane table where I'm going to be called in three spots on a nothing flop like this by guys with no pairs, then I might have to check and let this one go and hammer them with good hands later.

Most of the time if betting out is going to get you into trouble, checking doesn't help matters. Suppose you check and it checks around to the cutoff or button, who bets 200. Now what? Are you going to fold? What's the plan on the turn? I'd rather bet the flop, and if I'm called I'll go passive on the turn. Not sure what it is, but out of the following sequences:

Me: Check
Cutoff: Bet 200
Me: Call
(Turn blank)
Cutoff: Bet 500

and

Me: Bet 200
Cutoff: Call
(Turn blank)
Cutoff: Bet 500

To me, it looks a lot more likely I'm losing to cutoff on the second sequence. At the very least it's no more likely I'm losing to cutoff on the first sequence, so what did checking the flop accomplish?