View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: YABI (Yet Another Beginning Investor)

Sorry, I have a problem with asking too many questions and drowing out my main points.

[ QUOTE ]
1) I don't know what book would help, try all the books in other threads. The Market is a pretty vague thing, so I don't know what you're asking. There's THE STOCK MARKET, THE REAL ESTATE MARKET, THE BOND MARKET, etc... You should really try to understand them all, or at least understand one enough to make intelligent decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, basically my goal is to understand the fundamentals of all these different markets and the theories/models behind them. From there I can decide what would be best for me to "specialize" in and maybe what I'd be most interested in. My hope was that there was a good comprehensive resource in to gaining this type of knowledge, or a well known collection of resources.

[ QUOTE ]
2) $1000 isn't that much. It's not bad, but you're not going to see a lot of reward with that kind of investment. Assuming a decent 8% return for 50+ years, you're only looking at $60Kish. So in your words, you can't "make as much money as possible, as fast as possible, with as little risk as possible."

[/ QUOTE ]

$1000 would just be a "getting my feet wet" type of investment. I wouldn't die if a lost it, but thought it might be enough to manuever around with to see how things work; I don't expect to become a millionaire with it. Once I got comfortable and saved up some more money, I'd invest more.

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you're looking for an easy answer, and there isn't one. The good news is there IS a complicated answer that is readily available through lots of studying. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was looking for an easy answer... just what to start researching to start understanding all my options. Generally when I get into something, I like to gobble up as much information about the topic as humanly possible. Just with investing, it seems like its hard for me to find a starting place to start gobbling. I've glanced through some resources and they seem to assume you know how certain markets work already, etc... knowledge I don't have yet and makes it impossible to understand the more complex stuff. Perhaps I've just been looking in the wrong places.

Thanks for the info.