View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Default River Play With Strong, But Not Nut Hands

I have a general question about River Play in PLO. I play online on Party, usually short handed (6 MAX) games, and I am constantly finding myself check-raised on the river.

While the vast majority of my poker experience comes from Hold ´em, it still seems as if fundamental principles make a c-r on the river with a very strong to nut-level hand is a bad idea. With this mentality in mind I´ve made value bets with hands like the second straight, a low flush, or the nut flush when the board has paired. While I understand that in general this is not a good idea, I feel as if I´m leaving money on the table by checking behind here, when hands like sets, smaller straights and smaller flushes are going to often call .5 pot sized bets or so.

What´s suprising me, though, is how often I´m getting c-raised by hands like top boat, the nut straight, nut flushes, etc. I´ve fired pot with a K-high flush on the end after it checked around and been baffled to be set all in by the BB with an A-high flush.

Are the players who are doing this to me making solid plays, reading my general aggression, and making positive EV decisions to check-raise when a bet might scare off smaller hands? Is there enough value in enducing bluffs or enducing lesser hands to value bet to make a check with the nuts on the river? To me it seems ridiculous to draw to a hand taht youre going to fail to value bet on the river, but my real question is whether I shoudl just start checking behind hands like second straight or smaller flushes on the river here--that is, whether Im being played by superior players--or if Im playing fine and just being c-raised by idiots who dont know what theyre doing.