View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: A hand with an easy answer

I don't think I'd say that this hand has an easy answer. I would actually consider calling here. The main factors are the buy-in, the possible flush draw, the fact that you have 200 chips invested at the time of the push, and the fact that the Pusher opened the betting on the flop.

Against tough opponents, it's common for a preflop caller to lead into the raiser when they flop a strong hand. This is a strong play, but not an intuitive one. At the lower buy-ins, trips and sets are almost always slowplayed, often incorrectly. On a board like this, at the lower buy-ins, the person who opens the action on the flop is least likely to have trips. Furthermore, if they did bet with trips, they would be delighted at the raise, and probably just call. The raise all-in appears to desire a fold.

A weak opponent would likely make this play with any pocket pair, bottom pair, a flush draw, and perhaps some other hands. All of these possibilities are more likely than trips.

I really try not to get involved for all my chips in the early stages, so I might still lean towards folding, if it wasn't for the fact that you were already invested for a fourth of your chips. At that point, taking your chances becomes a much better option.

All in all, I'd say calling here is probably a profitable play in the long run.

Regards,
Steve