View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Handling/Breaking Losing Streaks

The first major losing streak is the worse... when I first started I turned $200 into $2000 in what seemed a blink of an eye.

At the height of the run I started creating some bad habits and loss all the discipline that got me their in the first place. I wouldn't take losing for an answer and would keep playing long sessions when I was tired, angry, etc... About lost it all...

One of the best pieces of advice I read was by some psychologist poster on this forum, I wish I could find that post. He really broke down your mental process and the sick cycle carosel mind set you get on when in a bad stretch. Variance is one cause but your response to Variance can really magnify the situation.

The summary of the advice was to really confront your thought process and your "irrational" rationalizations and identify them. When you start hearing those kicking again, GET THE [censored] AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER... DON'T PLAY... GO EXERCISE OR SOMETHING.

He then stated to write down your guidelines and borders, almost like a Poker Creed to yourself. I have about a 20 point bulletin word doc that I printed out and signed myself and Stapled right above where I play so it is in my vision at all times. It seems any time I sway from the list, my ROI plummets! Discipline is the key, but simply stating it doesn't work, write it down.

This is the quote of his I have at the top of this thing:

"I HAVE A PLAN. MY ROI WILL INCREASE IF I STICK TO THE PLAN. I AM WORSE THAN A [censored] FISH IF I DON'T STICK TO THE PLAN, BECAUSE I ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO PLAY POKER."

It works, I've been on the best run I have ever been on by far since. The bulleted items seem simple but it is human nature to break discipline. Discipline is someting you have to be aware of!