View Single Post
Old 11-27-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Obscure football rules . . .

One thing that no one knows, or at least ever does:
On a PAT attempt that is unsuccessful, the defense has the option of taking a kick off or the result of the play. For example, if A&M blocked the PAT, and returned it to the end zone, it would be 2 points and they would receive the kick off, but if the defender, realizing a possible +EV opportunity (depends on the strength of your offense), stepped out of bounds at the Texas 1 yard line, they would be given the option of taking the ball at the Texas 1 with First and Goal to go, or having Texas kick off. No one knows this.

The other obscure rule is that if there a punt on the final play of a quarter (any quarter) and the receiving team calls for a fair catch, they are awarded a free kick (may place the ball on the tee, no snap, no opponent rush) for a FG. I have seen this once in the NFL.

When I was a football coach, we used to practice putting 3 punt returners back to call fair catch, because even a high school kid can make a 55+ yard field goal from a tee with no rush.

Also, if you drop kick a PAT (let the ball bounce then kick it) that's good for 2 points, if I remember correctly. We used to try and do that, but a football is just not designed to be bounced with any kind of predictability.