Thread: loosen up???
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2001, 08:35 PM

Default loosen up???

I play in a home game, 8 handed usually, omaha 8 is main game, but also hold em, seven stud (hilo, low and high) and big omaha (omaha8 with 5 instead of 4 cards). Dealer has option of setting stakes, but most pots are 15-30, 20-40, 50 the whole way, pot limit, etc. People have lost up to $2000, and won the same. Buy in is $500, and we play that you can bet and call what you don't have in front of you - in other words, not table stakes.

I had been losing over about 15 sessions (I win at other games) in spite of this being the easiest game - there are 4 complete fish (play stuff like 4-7-7-Q in omaha), a couple of aggressive but unknowledgeable players, and two decent players (however, they play holdem, and don't know omaha as well.) I analyzed my play, and decided I was being too aggressive and loose.(even though I played much tighter than the opposition) I really tightened up, and won the last two sessions despite getting awful cards.

I've read Sklansky, and he says that one should loosen up in these types of games. However, I find that I lose when I follow this advice . A lot of times I get these trap hands, and lose a bunch of money. People still pay off my hands even when I'm ultra tight.

Question: Should I loosen up???

Thanks