View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: There is no such thing as a confidence interval for sit-n-go\'s.

Aleo,

First let me say that my post was in no way directed toward you. I respect your contributions on this board very much. It was directed more toward the assinine posts such as this that I come across all too often.

[ QUOTE ]
I really question all the posters on here that believe 200 SNGs is a blip and may not represent your true capability. I have been playing SNGs for a while, but just created a spreadsheet to actually track my results this weekend. I've played 43 SNGs this weekend, here are some statistics:

Profit/SNG: $30.67
Std. Deviation: $76.63
t-value (95% confidence interval, DOF=42): 2.018

True profitability at SNGs with 95% confidence:

$7.09 <= Profit/SNG <= $54.26

If you see something wrong with my statistical analysis, please feel free to post. If you think statistics are some kind of hokum, and that this can't possibly be correct just because you don't believe it - don't bother to respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't checked the math in this example because it's not worth my time, but assuming it is correct, and assuming that there is statistical merit in sng confidence interval calculations, we'd have to give this poster the benefit of the doubt and tell him to quit his day job based on 43 tournaments.

I understand that my original post probably came across as offensive to you, and I apologize for that. I was just reading back through several old posts like this one above last night and it was therapeutic for me to make that post at the time. I will take the time to give a more detailed response to your questions sometime in the next few days.