View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: A few questions from a newb

Okay, I'm game! My background is Stud, so I'm tighter than tight. I'm also a Zee disciple, so I will quote him and maybe not give him credit, at the time, so here is the credit up front! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Aggression – I drink the standard 2+2 koolaid as far as aggression goes, but it seems that sometimes being more passive can pay off in this game, such as going for overcalls with a nut low draw. One interesting post here read “don’t push your nut lows with zero high potential.” Is this generally correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is often correct to be very passive until you have the mortal nuts in O8. This applies mostly to low limit, super loose games. I go for overcalls a lot in a game where six people are calling the river. I figure if EP bets and I raise, I will make a heck of a lot less than if I get those overcalls, especially if I'm playing for 1/2 the pot or less (EP bet, I raise, zero overcalls=2 big bets max. EP bet, I call, four overcalls=3 big bets max, and 50% of the risk as above if I am quartered).

[ QUOTE ]
Variance – any poker will have swings. How does O8 variance compare to LHE? More? Less? Bankroll is not an issue for me as I will start out at .5/1 and hopefully make a little as I learn the game, though I would like an idea of what I’m getting myself into. It seems from what I read on a post here, I can actually expect smaller swings that I experienced at LHE. I guess I’m looking for confirmation of this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Less, if you continue to play as tight as you are now, and you are playing in loose, clueless, low limit games. I book less losses in these games than I do LHE. It is more on par with NLHE cash games, yet with much less risk of losing a buy-in with one hand!

[ QUOTE ]
Resources – what texts are recommended on this board for newer players? I’m sure there is a “standard” book for newer players, but maybe I am wrong. I’ve read the Baldwin section of SS2, and that seems helpful. (Really, I would be more comfortable with a 2+2 book, but I know that none specific to this game exists yet.) Any thoughts on where to go from there? Also, are there any sort of odds charts and hand reading exercises anyone could recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]
Run, do not walk, to Ray Zee's excellent book: High/Low Split Poker for Advanced Players. A $25 investment will yield $2500 in no time at all, if you play wisely.

[ QUOTE ]
Profitability – I’m going to ask the really drool question of what a “good” longterm winrate is. Intuitively I would think it would be similar to HE, but that is b/c that is my point of reference. However, is there also a chance that a good player can make more at this game than the others, precisely b/c the sheer number of factors one has to consider will confuse the hell out of recreational, weaker players? I mean, as I read on a thread here, to bad players EVERY hand can look good. Relatedly, how high in limits does this phenomenon occur?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not get much of a chance to play in middle/higher limit cash games. I think 5/10 with a half kill is the highest I've played O8. I usually play the LL passive games, and then tourneys. The highest buy-in tourney I've played was a $1500 event, I freerolled by winning a satellite prior to the event.

I made a deal when we got down to three. It was a chip count deal, but since we were all so close in chips, it was virtually even.

I have not cashed in any other O8 events yet, except low buy-in $25 events, which I don't count, because towards the end of the tournament, they turn into NLO8.

I have played in only one other big buy-in event (since Stud is my A game), but failed to cash. I plan on playing in all of the Plaza O8 events, starting next month, because they are promising a structure that is so good it is akin to a cash game. Being a tightwad player, this will benefit me, as the $1500 event did last October.

Please keep posting, everyone on this forum is very helpful.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net