View Single Post
Old 09-07-2001, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Jon: But it could be you or me!

"Vince, what are the chances that the local high school basketball "star" makes the NBA, or even proball in Europe?"

Extremely poor. Of course, given that, it's probably a lot lower for those that do not focus on their dreams. Look, a well rounded education and balanced life is a stock answer to young people looking for direction. And I agree with these goals. I also do not see much value of a life playing poker so I would also not recommend that he become a professional poker player. But I'm not going to advise Jon to give up his "passion" to achieve goals others may think are more valuable. That's a decision for him to make. My response was intended only to showhim that others have been in the same situation as him and still continue on playing poker. I also gave an example, Andras Nagy, where someone did not overcome the losing and quit playing.

Poker playing is a dangerous endeavor. It is an fact a gambling game. Out of control gambling is a big problem. Evidence the "Gambling Anonymous" organization whose purpose is to help people with gambling problems and or addiction. I do not recommend Jon continue to play or stop playing poker. Again that is his decision. My only goal was to point out as many pro's and con's as possible that may help him with that decision.

Vince