View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: The odds of trips.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me answer a simpler question first. Suppose you take 66T out of a deck, then shuffle the remaining 49 cards and deal two cards. What is the chance those two cards will form three of a kind with the 66T board?

The answer is there are Combin(49,2) = 1,176 possible combinations of two cards you can deal from the deck. 1 of them is 66, which gives four of a kind. 3 of them are TT and 6 of them are 6T, both of which give a full houses. 88 of them are 6 paired with a card other than 6 or T, which gives three sixes. Depending on which of these hands you want to count as a set, you can add them up and divide by 1,176 to get the probability.

[/ QUOTE ]

You totally lost me but I am trying my best to understand. Why take the 66T out of the deck? How is this making the problem simpler?

"The answer is there are Combin(49,2) = 1,176 possible"

How in the world did you come up with 1,176? What did you do? 2 x 49 = 98 so that's not it. 49 squared is 2,401 so that's not it. What does "combin (49,2) mean? Does it mean multiply the two numbers? Squard the first number and divide it by the second number? How are you calculating numbers? Please show the math? Please, please, please.

Thank you