View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Re: figuring pot odds quickly

sure, but how do I figue out the odds of my hand hitting? Again, using your example

there is 90 in the pot,
the other guy bets 10 and now it is 10:1 odd for my call.

the Board is Jh, 3c, 7h and I hold A,Th

If I put the other guy on the J, I know I have 9 clean outs and a possibe 12 outs: the 9 hearts and the 3 aces so at the table I need to devide the 12 by the 21 cards left (assuming a full table and a burn card). If I have done the math write I have a 57% chance of hitting a card that helps me amd I am only calling 10%.
Now two things: A) I don't know that I did that math right and B) it took me 3 minutes to work through it. Now in a ring limit game I wouldn't actually need to work through this, I instinctively know I have the odds to call that $10 bet.

However, what if I am in a NL freezout tourny and I need to call t575 into a pot of t935 and I know I have 8 outs. I can do the math for you now, but at a table with 1 minute or less to act, should I just round the pot and bet amounts to get 10:5 or 50% and then "well 8 goes in to 21 about 3.5 times so 35% and then fold" Additionally, to figure the pot odds do I devide 575/935 or as the pot will actuall be 1510 if I call do I devide 575/1510? Either way, I when I do the actually math the odds might me much closer to a call if I do not round?

does any of this make sense or am I just rambling? I guess what I am ask is: is it ok to just round? (and even there I am worried about my math).

Thanks to anyone who helps and sorry for the lame newbie type questions.

Ryan