View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Re: A harsh but honest message to all 2+2\'ers

[ QUOTE ]
I made this post for one reason. Because poker players get a bad rap. They are, in general, seen as 'mopes', who waste away their day. They are seen as rude, ignorant and obnoxious by a large portion of society.

[/ QUOTE ]

A large portion of society isn't thinking about poker players. If any portion IS thinking about poker players, they're thinking of the guys they see on television, not you and me.

[ QUOTE ]
So when I see rude and obnoxious comments to posts, I think this perception society has of the 'poker player' is substantiated.

[/ QUOTE ]

The perception is generally a reality. Look around a poker room sometime. Do you see noble, kind, helpful individuals looking out for one another? No.

[ QUOTE ]
Please, if you dont believe me, just read some of comments about, for example, how someone played AK wrong (and its always wrong if you didnt play it EXACTLY how the respondent would have liked it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Please reference the thread in question so we can get an example of what's got you so riled up. Most regular posters here, and many non-regular posters, know that how you play a hand depends on circumstances. I contend that what you've just complained about here didn't happen - that all the regular posters didn't berate the player for playing AK in a way they didn't deem proper. I bet for each "regular" poster, you got a different answer. And, I also would bet, that the original poster probably didn't give enough information for those regular posters to really give a definitive answer about how to play the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
The regulars on this site are so blind to their poor attitudes any responses to this post will probably tell me to "get some balls" (snip) stop acting like "mopes", answer questions cordially

[/ QUOTE ]

So often people post hands that are woefully incomplete, poorly remembered or documented or posted strictly for the poster to crow about how smart and great they are. It gets tiresome reading that stuff. Regular posters here give a huge amount of their time to freely share their experience. If a poster is being habitually rude or nasty, complain to the moderator. I don't think the majority of regular posters could be classified this way.

[ QUOTE ]
and stop advancing society's stereotypes of the rude ignorant poker player...this is a great site and great resource. Don't ruin it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players are, by and large, ignorant and rude. This forum tends to have a much higher percentage of thoughtful, helpful and useful individuals. The actions of the regular posters here won't cover the fact that most poker players found in the world's poker rooms are, indeed, mopes.

I am not a regular poster, just an occasional mope.

Regards,

T