View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Flopped Quads....what\'s my play?

I would not check this flop. I think you should make a minimum bet here.

First of all, anyone with the spades draw will call, or even raise for a free card. Also, plenty of fish will call a minimum bet here with even one overcard and many will raise because a minimum bet looks weak here.

Another advantage to this bet is that if someone catches on the turn or river, the pot is that much bigger and therefore, you can get bigger bets later in the hand. If the pot is only 60 chips, who cares if they do catch when it has been checked all the way to the river. You are only looking at getting a pot sized bet out of anything but the nut flush here. A huge reraise is just too suspicious and will be folded to.

If you can get another 20 from one caller on the flop, then you can probably get another 40 on the turn. Betweeen the two of you, this makes for three times as much by the river. Now, small flushes or even top pair might be willing to put a lot more money in with a much smaller hand.

If the turn is blank, I might consider checking there, but I'd still probably put in another 40 bet at this point.

One of the biggest weaknesses people have in poker is too much hope. Put in the bets while they still have it, and might pay to see more cards. Once you get to the river, they have seen everything and they know that their hand is not getting any better. They aren't going to bluff at a 60 chip pot, and even if they do, it isn't going to be much.

That's what I think anyways.

Regards,
Brad S