View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Hold \'Em Odds - Flop->River, Flop->Turn, Turn->River?

Now that you point this out, I think I might have mis-calculated the number of outs in the type of hand I was thinking of - I think it is 15 outs. I am still pretty new to all of this, and I am trying to learn. This type of situation may not come up real often, but at lower limits (which is all I can currently afford to play) it could happen in the following situation:

I hold AKs and raise in early position. I get reraised in middle position by a loose, aggressive raiser whom I suspect has anything from a medium pocket pair to A(10+) to AA. If the flop comes 10 5 2 with two of my suit, then I have 9 outs for the nut flush and 6 possible outs (3 A's and 3 K's) that could be good, especially if the opponent is truly a loose raiser. It is true that there would be times when he might have already flopped a set, or that my overcard could come and make him two pair (Aces and Tens). This is a situation where I am not sure what the positive EV play is, and I am guessing that it all depends on my read on my opponent.

I don't know what type of hand that I was originally thinking of for 11 outs...maybe an open ended straight draw with one overcard??? LOL. I don't know.

Fact is, I want to become so comfortable with all odds involved in the hand that it is nearly second nature to "think" in terms of odds instead of hoping that I am making the correct play. I realize that odds don't always determine the correct play, but I suspect that they go a long way in helping you determine what the correct play is.