View Single Post
Old 11-13-2001, 03:15 PM

Default Re: building a bankroll

Grinding your way up the limits is underrated (not overrated). Grinding is the only guarantee that you can beat the game consistently at that level. Grinding is also a good measure of your real earning rate which is determined by the number of hours you play. And grinding is the only proof that you can weather everything including loose-wild games, bad cards, bad beats, and protracted losing streaks.

I've seen dozens of players put in 200+ hours of time at low limit tables, proclaim themselves "winning players at that limit", borrow money for a jump to medium level stakes (sometimes 3 or 4 levels higher), suffer a bad run (60+ hours) lose their bankroll, borrowed money, and repeat the process all over again. Some of these players (friends) have repeated this process only to end up with a negative result at the end of the year - after putting in 1000 hours at the tables!

If you are playing 6-12, you should be very close in bankroll to 10-20 maybe only a couple hundred hours or so can give you the cushion. What's 300 hours? 3 months part-time? what's 500 hours? If I wasn't showing much of a profit after that many hours, I'd be seriously concerned about my play.

Good luck,

d,