View Single Post
Old 11-13-2001, 01:40 AM

Default Re: building a bankroll

"1) How can you ever build a bankroll playing some of these crazy low limit games into one that would enable me to play higher(10-20 or above)?"

The $6-12 route at best means building up to a grand or two, moving up, going bust, starting over, until maybe not going bust, at least for a while. A better way I think is to just borrow 5K to 10K or so and dive in. Prefer banks over people. The cost of borrowing would ideally be offset in poker earn by providing the mental benefit of cushion.

"2) There are times when my discipline and skill level come to a level where I can actually "feel" myself playing at a higher level than the rest of the table. ... How can I cultivate this "groove" to play like this all the time?"

Practice. Especially when stuck.

"3) Is the skill difference really that much higher at the 10-20 to 30-60 level than say 6-12?"

There's a big difference, but calling it skill-levels skirts the issue. It's a different environment altogether, where varied frequencies of this cause varied frequencies of that. Takes time to get used to, whatever skill levels you face.

"4) Is there even more avenues for learning than what I'm exposed to (books, WSOP videos, and software)? Any suggestions?"

I think the best and fastest avenue is to figure out who the winners are in your game and go to school on them. One reason is that what works in one locale might not work in another, but each place has players who do what works at that place.

Tommy