View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: When to cold call

This may be obvious, and I hate to say this, but it depends. How much do you have to cold-call? How is your stack? The raisers? Is he loose? Do you have position or are you in the blinds?

If we're talking about a silly little min-raise, I have position and I'm not short-stacked, I'll often call with a pocket pair. If I hit my set, I can let him bet into me, if he checks a ragged flop I can take down the pot with a decent bet, and if I'm behind I can fold.

If I have AK, I'll reraise rather than cold-call, because you need to find out whether the raiser has a made hand or is feeling frisky with AJ. Out of position or if I'm neither short nor tall-stacked, I'll cold call and have a look at the flop. It depends. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Faced with a 3BB raise (or greater) I'll cold call with AA and KK, probably on down to TT, depending the factors listed above. I really like cold-calling with AA/KK. His bet thins the field, and you are set up to take his stack. (Unless an A falls to your KK. Then you've got to make a decision.) With QQ-TT, I'm looking for a set or a completely ragged flop that I can take down with an aggressive flop bet.