View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain to me the phrase \"God bless America\"

I played for many years in smoky cardrooms and still wonder how much damage I might have done to my lungs. Since I've had the pleasure of playing in smoke-free cardrooms in more recent years, I can't see going back to the old ways, for me, especially if the smoke is heavy.

Do you expect that the Europeans will ever so slowly come around to the realization that smoking indoors is incredibly harmful to their own health and the health of others?

With all the things that are banned in Europe--as brad pointed out, referring to someone in England as a "homosexual" can get one arrested--can't Europeans see that forcing others to breathe their smoke in places of public accomodation is a great deal worse and more of an assalt than any name-calling could possibly be? Name-calling or even racist epithets may hurt someone's feelings--but smoke hurts others' health.

I'd love to visit Europe but if it's as smoky as some say I'd be rather reluctant. Once you get used to smoke-free environments stepping into smoky rooms is like being hit with a ton of bricks--you can feel it, and you feel it afterwards and the next day too.

Hopefully some day...