Thread: TPFAP Question
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2004, 05:00 PM

Default TPFAP Question

Okay, so I have been reading Tournament Poker for Advanced Players and have become very confused regarding a statement David makes on page 124. He writes the following regarding his No Limit Tournament "System":

"Notice that the hands that she was to move in with (again, when no one has raised in front of her) comprised about 13% of all the two card combinations. (If you don't know how I got that, stop reading this book right now. You are not ready for it. You don't know enough about poker. And, you deserve to lose."

Yipes. The problem I have with this statement is that on page 123 David writes:

"If no one else has raised in front of you, move in all your chips with any pair, any ace-other suited, ace-king (suited or offsuit), or two suited connected cards, except for four-trey or trey deuce."

So let me spell it out. David would have his "System" player go all in if no one raised in front with any pair (13 hands), any ace-other suited (12 hands), ace-king suited or off-suit (1 hand, no double counts allowed), or two suited connected cards, except for 43s and 32s (9 hands).
13 + 12 + 1 + 9 = 35 hands.
The problem is that 35 hands out of a possible 169 two card combinations actually comes out to over 20%.

So according to the book, because I cannot see how 13% = 35/169, I deserve to lose. Maybe I already have lost by spending $29.95 on a writer to arrogant to check his math. Or maybe I'm an idiot. Thanks in advance for the help.

Godfather