View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Re: U.S. Diplomat Resigns in Protest

He's a gifted writer, no question. His letter is very persuasive and definitely had made me think about my position on the pending war.

However, I am still extremely troubled about Saddam having/acquiring WMD, and I disagree with his assertion that Iraq and Al Queda are unrelated problems. Just because no definitive links between the two have been proven, that doesn't mean Saddam couldn't slip a nuke or a vial of smallpox to a group like Al Queda or another terrorist group that may have only one thing in common with Saddam--hatred for the U.S. and a desire to murder innocent Americans. This is a major concern; the only way to defend against WMD is to prevent them from being delivered, and the best way to do that is to prevent your enemies and lunatics from acquiring them. The scenario from the movie Sum of All Fears was not the least bit far-fetched in my mind (other than the fact that, in an effort to be politically correct, nazis were portrayed as the terrorists, rather than the Palestinian terrorists in Tom Clancy's book).

The bottom line is that I believe there are legitimate reasons to go to war. Unfortunately, Bush has not done a great job of convincing the rest of the world. It's a shame he doesn't have Slick Willy's charisma or communication skills, because his heart is in the right place, he just isn't a great salesman.