View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds/Effective Odds/Probability Question

It really isn't a difficult question, which is why I'm beginning to get frustrated. It has been explained just about as well as it can be, but you still seem stuck on viewing each street individually. If you can't get your mind around this just yet, it's probably okay. In most small stakes ames , you have so much overlay it will rarely matter if you use 2 cards to come odds or single street odds.

So, unless someone can explain it in a better way than David Sklansky, or myself, you are just stuck having to try to figure out where your brain is getting blocked on this issue. But, dont fear! Until you have a firm grasp of effective odds, just use the 1 card odds, about 4:1 on the flop and the turn, in the case of the flush draw.

Again, I'm not sure it can be explained much better than how David Sklansky puts it. Your mindset of wanting to view each street seperately is what is keeping you from understanding this, IMHO. But, it's not as big of a deal as you may think at the levels you are playing at. I still believe you should pick up "Hold'em's Odds Book", by Mike Petriv. It should open your eyes a bit to the probability for all situations. It also has a detailed look at combinations, which are important in 2 cards to come odds. Good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]