View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 06:15 PM

Default Why I think Bonds is on Steroids

I haven't really thought about the basketball players very much. I was a huge NBA fan in the 80s, I remember all of those guys when they were young. Jordan was skinny, I don't remember the Mailman being skinny, but if you say so maybe he was. Barkley was overweight but very athletic. The players today are MUCH more athletic, no question. I still think the Celtics or Lakers of the 80s would beat any team since (including any Bulls team) in a 7 game series, but thats a topic for a different post...

As for Bonds, I find it incredible that a player as consistent as he had been--consistently great, but always in the 30-45 home run range--could start to improve so much at age 35, and then have a quantum leap at age 36. Obviously, he got much bigger and stronger, and I think it was because of steroids. When someone improves at a late age, its very suspicious (just like that swimmer from Ireland--I think her name was Michelle Smith). He put on a lot of muscle, and I think he had help. Steroids wont make you a great baseball player, but they can make a great baseball player a great home run hitter...

I think with Sammy it's even more obvious, look at his body, and look at his forehead. Griffey, Jr. is the only bigtime slugger of recent years that I am convinced is clean (and unfortunately, he's not good anymore, let alone great).

Sure, L. Gonzalez could have just had a career year, but his career year might have been for the same reasons Caminiti had his (he admitted using steroids). L.G. went from a career high in home runs of 31 (set the year before, and before that it was 26) to 57, at age 33. He had been in the big leagues 12 years. Makes you wonder...

By the way, are you sure Brady Anderson is innocent?