View Single Post
Old 02-09-2002, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Continuation of Jim Brier post...

i disagree. the relative complexity of their ideas reflect the comlexity of the game of hold em (i cant comment on stud or omaha). they are doing beginners a favor by presenting to them the idea that there are rarely any easy answers in this game: it requires a constantly thinking person, willing to commit a considerable amount of time and mental energy to beat hold em for any worthwhile amount of money.

I don't disagree wtih this statement, but I think there are certain situations that come up again and again where if you are starting to play the game it is better to know what to do MOST of the time. A theme taht comes up again and again in Jims column is to fold hands likely to be second best on the turn if you get raised after showing strength all the way. This is great advice in my opinion. Now, S&M might say, it depends, and they would be right. Obviously if some player thinks he can push you off top pair by raising the turn every time, that is no good. But such players are relatively rare. It's only when you start getting to really tough games that you would have to worry about this. Very few players have the guts to raise you after you raised preflop and bet the flop on a sheer bluff. So while S&M certainly wouldn't be wrong, Jim's advice wouldn't hurt you too much in these situations at all. I think its much easier to learn the theme of how to play in certain spots, and learn the variations later.