View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 06:20 PM

Default rant about sngs not being poker.

i recently played a few sngs in front of my little brother (who is doing quite well for himself through bonus whoring and beating the lower limit cash games). after watching a few late rounds he told me that "thats not even poker" referring to the push/fold strategy that i was employing. I have also seen several other posters here make reference to actually playing poker with a hand in the later stages. I have a news flash...the push/fold strategy is not only playing poker, it is playing good poker. the reason i say this is that poker starts as a struggle for the antes, once these antes get so big, it becomes necesarry to play lesser hands, and take shots at pots etc. etc. (for more info see the theory of poker) so the next time someone says you need to actually play some poker in this situation, i say, not only am i playing poker, i am playing good poker by employing a correct push/fold strategy.

thank you for listening,
johnny

ps. there obviously will be occcasions where seeing a flop is correct, it is just few and far between.