View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 12:39 PM

Default Revenge not the answer (longish)

I know many people are talking about retribution and revenge for the people that committed the terrorist acts yesterday. While I am sure this will happen I hope we realize that this will not solve the problem. The problem is much deeper than hunting down a terrorist. Let's just suppose that bin Laden is responsible and that the U.S. invades Afghanistan and captures and kills bin Laden.

Then What? Does terrorism stop? Is the world a safe place? Do we all live happily ever after?

The obvious answer to the last three questions in NO.

I think Hetron has touched on the problem below when he criticizes U.S. foreign policy. This macro issue is the problem. Whether we understand it or not, the U.S. is HATED by millions and millions of people around the world. Why is this the case? I think that the inconsistencies in U.S. foreign policy that Hetron mentions are a major reason. Also the perception (real or imagined, it doesn't matter) of the arrogant way the U.S. carries out it's foreign policy. In laymen's term the U.S. has to be more of a "team player" in international affairs rather than trying to dictate. An example that Canadians are well aware of is the U.S. attitude towards trade agreements. How many times has the WTO or some other organization told the U.S. that they can't do something because it violates a trade agreement and the U.S. basically says "screw you" and does it anyway. In the big picture the price of lumber or something like that is not a big deal but it is just an example of why many people were celebrating in the streets of Palestine yesterday.

Some people also talk about revenge or punishment as a deterrent. All I would say is that the high-jackers were willing to commit suicide so I don't think this will a deterent in any way whatsoever.

So we can find bin Laden, we can kill him and it will make us feel better for now. For what it's worth, I think we should find bin Laden and kill him (assuming he's shown to be responsible). But if that's all the U.S. does then these problems will occur again. Unless there are fundamental changes to the way the U.S. handles itself in the international community then I think we will be talking about some other terrorist in five years from now and nothing else will have changed.