View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Being \"pot-committed\"

[ QUOTE ]
Your right about it not being a good call if you have nothing in the pot yet. Obviously a lot has to do with how loose or tight the other players are. If I would have had nothing in the pot and three all-in raises ahead of me it would be an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I think you are confused.

The main difference between the two situations is that in the actual situation, you were up against one hand. In the hypothetical modification, three people are all-in. You expect AK to win more against 1 hand than against 3 hands, so paying $150 for your share of a $700 4-way pot may be a bad deal even though paying $150 for your share of a $700 2-way pot may be a bargain.

Another difference is that the money in the modified example did not add up to $150. If there was a $100 push, a reraise all-in to $200, a reraise all-in to $250, and you have no money in the pot, then it is $250 to you, not $150.

Another difference is that the people in the modified example showed more strength than in the actual example.

As a side note, AKo is usually a favorite in a multi-way pot. If someone has a pocket pair, AK can't win without improving (unless the pair gets counterfeited), but AK improves more than half of the time (49% of the time an ace or king comes, and a few percent of the time no ace or king comes, but AKo makes a straight or flush). When AK hits, it generally wins whether against 1 pocket pair or many, and that means AK usually wins a disproportionate share of a multiway pot. People like to talk about how well some hands like JTs do in a multi-way pot. That should be because they do poorly heads-up, not because they are better in a multi-way pot than AK, even off-suit. Against 1-9 random hands, AKo does better than JTs.