View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Re: playing small pocket pairs late in tourney

Your quote:

However, I realize that this isn't the best move. Going all in(or close to it) preflop is generally a move for people who feel like they are outclassed or don't have the skill to play the hand out. They are scared to see a flop against the better opponents, so they simply steal the blinds when they get hands. And since I have no idea how to play these hands, I usually fall into that category.

My reply: If you are going to play a small pocket pair late in a tournament where the blinds are large, I give you three options: (1) fold. (2) All-in (3) check if you are in the big blind. (Ok, you could argue fill if in the small blind but that, like most things, falls into the "it depends" category of your opponent in the big blind and stack sizes).

Like you said, if shortstacked I'll usually (but not always)push with a baby pp. The rest of the time I'll fold. I don't see much sense in playing them any other way. If I have a large stack, I'm much more prone to go the route of folding them. But again, it depends on who my opponents are and I have pushed with the small pairs when I felt I had the best of it (sometimes I've been right, the rest not).