View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 04:36 PM

Default Is \"Lucky\" a degenerate gambler?

I write this, having missed last night's episode (so that show may have added some data to include here), but having seen all of the rest. Can Lucky L. be truly labeled a degenerate and/or compulsive gambler (how would you differentiate the two, if you would)?

While he doesn't read people as well as he THINKS he does, making really bad decisions as a result, I haven't seen anything in his gambling that I would label as degenerate (does that make ME degenerate?)

This leads back to my initial primary complaint about the show (which I like a lot, BTW- it could stand to be an hour-long, IMO), with equating a poker player, a supposed "World Champion" to boot, to 'degenerate gambler'. His image, in my mind, has been fairly controlled at the poker table... where's the problem here?
He DOES have some compulsive/control issues to deal with, from what I've seen...

On another topic- it bothers me a bit that we have 4 main characters, all in G.A., and they don't even seem to be TRYING to give up gambling. I don't like the message THAT sends, nor do I assume G.A. would be happy about the message being sent, as to the success/value of their program, by the show....

Am I just getting cranky in my old age? Am I personalizing/projecting? Am I drunk?

Fire away...