View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: TPTK on a non-dangerous board

Nice post kyro.

I like the flop call. There's no reason to change the dynamic of the hand here. If you push/raise you make it impossible for Villain to make a mistake, so just call.

On the turn Villain checks, so he's most likely drawing to 2 outs or whatever. Just check behind. Betting accomplishes nothing really, he'll fold everything you beat and call/raise when you're smashed. You only have TPTK so keep the pot small. But really, the most important reason to check behind is to give your opponent a chance to bluff into you on the river.

So you bet and get check raised. He either has a monster (TT, etc) or nothing (this includes an underpair in this case). The latter line is one that all you constant c-bettors will have to learn as you move up in stakes. When you are a known c-bettor, many opponents will look you up on the flop by bluff calling with position. As soon as you check the turn they take the pot. It's a decent line and considerably cheaper than raising the flop. The counter move to the bluff call is a turn C/R, just as villain did here. Now, I'm not saying you're definitely ahead, as it would be a sophisticated move on Villain's part, that's just something to think about.

Anyway, you're C/R'd. I'm not laying this down. Most opponents with a set will just keep betting into you to get max value. You showed no aggression on the flop, he has no reason to think you'll bet the turn. So you should be ahead a good percentage of the time here. Should you raise? HELL NO. If you raise he'll just dump his bluff and call with his monsters. Again, you make it impossible for him to make a mistake. Just flat call. F*ck, run your timer down too. He'll push all his hands on the river and you call immediately. You're going to lose to a monster anyway you slice it so you want to forget about the possibility he may have that and focus on maxing your value against bluffs/underpairs. Calling the turn and the river accomplishes that goal.