View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Update --- and what now?

as usual, thanks for the excellent link/help mymindisgoing.

...advice from one and all appreciated, i have never dealt with problems of this nature (i continue to google away but without previous know how....)..er, help?

ok, i have no idea what to do next.
here is a list of what i have done so far:

- (from the link above) i used the recovery console by booting XP from my cdrom...i then disabled the apg440 as per instructions.
- i then restarted and tried choosing - safe mode

the result was essentially the same...i got a list of files the same as before except ending on the 2nd to last file name (the one i disabled was not there).

the one it stops on now is (which was there before):
multi(0)disc(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System 32\Drivers\Mup.sys

should i keep disabling the last one on the list?

(it seems that the hard drive is firing up now though as i can hear it running and it did not before)

I also used the Recovery Console to repair the drive and did the following:
CHKDSK c: /P /R

Also I tried disconnecting the sound card and the network card and then booting.

So far the result is the same

So what can i try next?

Is there any way to get the computer to boot so i can run virus scans or registry mechanic?

... can i boot it up from the XP cd without losing my data on my c drive? if i can how do i do it and what should i do once i get access?

..what other diagnostics can i run? i have a dell diagnostics disc but have never used it.

...what are my options?
....can i set up a partition to install a temporary OS and not have to corrupt/reformat my HD?

I would very much appreciate any and all suggesions/solutions/encouragement/ect...

frustrated by the crash but thankful to be a part of this community,
sean