View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: How Can I Increase My Computer\'s Performance?

I assume you've run virus protect and anti-spyware software (if not, this is your first step).

Next, what kind of internet connection do you have? Is it possible that you have a connection problem?

Otherwise, I guess the first thing I'd do is see how much ram the db is running at any given time <alt> <ctrl> <del> then processes tab (with WinXP).

While you're at it, you can see what other processes you're running at the same time -- i.e., how much of your ram is being used from background crap.

Assuming that crap is using a significant portion of your memory, you can shut down a lot of this stuff, or work it so that programs don't automatically open when you boot up. (Most likely result)

If on the other hand, your db or some necessary program is hogging your memory, you can add ram.

Or you can add ram and not worry about it, but this is more costly and less elegant. I'd recommend figuring out what the problem is.

Nothing else in your basic set up jumps out at me -- assuming you're using some kind half way decent graphics card.