View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 03:06 PM

Default How should I go about investing this?

I'm currently 19 years old, freshman at a community college, trying to save money to afford a real school (parents refuse to help financially in any way). I started playing poker senior year in high school, and have recently been making decent money, enough to afford entertainment and some savings. I'm trying to save about 10% of every winning session to invest.

While I'm stashing money away from poker, how should I go about investing it? I know it doesn't make sense to buy securities with every $50 I win, since the comission cost per trade will kill all the profit I make, but perhaps going in blocks of $2,000 would make sense. Once I save $10,000 or so, I think I'll read and learn enough to start investing intelligently.

While I'm saving, would it be wise to buy Mutual Funds, Indicies, or a DRIP in a large company? I'm a little turned off by Mutual Funds, since it seems like everybody and their uncle is investing in them.

Basically, does it make sense to invest in these things while I'm saving up to start a real portfolio, or will the fees eat up any % I stand to gain?

Thanks.