View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Aborted Steal attempts ?

As Crockpot stated, this really depends upon how long you can wait him out. However, you still need to try to steal, if for no other reason than to get him to push all-in when you actually have KK or AA. Stay consistent with your raises. Limp in occasionally to change it up, even with a big hand. The thing is, if he's going all-in every time...you just have to hope for a big hand and make him pay.

if the time is getting short, you might need to take your shot with a hand like AJ or AQ, or a middle pair and hope it holds up. I would rather risk my tourney on a hand like AQ or AJ or 88 than JTs simply because it might win unimproved, and might dominate someone who will reraise with any A or a little pair when it gets shorthanded and there is an opportunity to knock someone out.

I guess this points out why it is so profitable to be aggressive when shorthanded...especially when you have the chips to back it up. By playing every hand like he has AA, the big stack has put you on the defensive to the point where you don't want to steal any more. Now, he can slowly grind you away until you have so few chips that you will need a couple of all-in victories just to make him nervous. It's nice to be the big stack (insert contented (or is it envious) sigh here).

CCC