View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: AKs and Pushing on flops

I think one of the biggest problems a lot of people have with AKo or AKs is overplaying after the flop.

For instance, let's say blinds are 50/100, and I have AKs in MP or something. Three limpers, and I raise to 200, and I get two callers. Flop comes like the one you described. Guess what? You don't have a hand. When you push, you have to remember that anyone who called your initial bet may, in fact, be WAY ahead of you. Their small pocket pair beats you. Their set beats you. Their TPTK beats you. And it's really tough, especially at this buy-in, to get any of these three ranges of hands to lay it down.

I think a 1/3 pot size bet will tell you where you're at. And when you're beat, just let it go.

FWIW, your push just wreaks of AK. If I had any piece of that board - maybe even a pocket pair - I'd consider calling just because you're not pushing with a made hand here.

AKs is a great starting hand. But when 4 people see a flop, and you don't hit, it's just another losing hand a lot of the time. And that takes a while to get used to.