View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: omg my computer is screwed

[ QUOTE ]
I used whatever program was on windows to backup my files. I don't even know what is on it. I doubt my poker tracker info is on it, but I really don't know. It only took one CD to back everything up, so I'm guessing it's just the drivers and other basic stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't used the Windows backup option you're talking about, so I cannot help you with that. More than likely, you're right on the backup of the drivers/windows basic setting, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] UGH, I put in the Re-installation CD that dell gave me for windows XP before I started up my computer. I turned it on and it went directly to the same error message. It didn't even run the CD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure the boot order is set correctly to allow the CD-ROM to boot up first (go into BIOS and change the order)

[ QUOTE ]
I called Dell yesterday and they said that it is probably a software problem and that it will cost 80 bucks for them to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like some spyware messed your [censored] up good. I could be way off, but it's a shot in the dark. Sending the computer to Dell may be more of a hassle than you want to deal with. You'll have to ship to Dell, wait. They fix it, you wait. They send it back, you're still waiting. Finally, you get it back, and all the files (mainly the PT database seems to be what you're worried about) are gone. And now you're f'd. Dell doesn't know what you want to keep/get rid of. More than likely, they'll just load their Dell garbage back onto your computer.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really frustrated now, I thought I could just format my hard drive and put this behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hook up your hard drive to another computer, backup everything you want, and then put the drive back in the original computer. Run your format/re-install. This seems like the best method (and usually is) to solve these problems.