View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Theory of Poker Math Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and if your opponent usually knows when you are bluffing, "never" is the correct bluffing frequency against that opponent. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. The whole point of using a randomized bluffing strategy is that your opponent cannot possibly read you. On the other hand, if you were speaking of playing live money, and if you have some ridiculous tell -- like turning bright red whenever you bluff -- then you are right. But even in that case, you can always make your move without looking at your card (in the case of stud) or without looking at the board (in the case of holdem). All that matters is that the odds against your bluffing match the pot odds. You don't even need to know your own card to accomplish that.

gm

[/ QUOTE ]

1) randomizing your bluffing eliminates some, but not all, of the information an opponent could profitably use to determine if you are bluffing. some tells are less rediculous than blushing when you bluff and may still be exploited by some non-empty set of opponents. i was in fact talking about real life play and tells of the only-a-few-opponents-will-pick-up-on-them variety and opponents of the one-of-those-few variety. i think that failure to notice that a particular opponent is snapping off more than the "expected" number of your bluffs while paying off fewer than the "expected" number of your value bets is an error on your part. i think that continuing to use randomized bluffs against such an opponent is an error on your part. and i think that such opponents, while thankfully rare, do exist. do you dispute any of these three statements?

2) if you don't look at the last card, then you cannot possibly alter the odds that you are bluffing when you bet by altering the frequency with which you choose to bet. everytime you bet, you are making a "real" bet with probability p, the chance that you made your draw, and you are bluffing with probability 1 - p.