View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Playing Trash Early

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Early on when the blinds are 10/20, 15/20, and even sometimes when it is 25/50 (depending on your stack size), I like playing LOTS of not-so-good hands, but NEVER trash. 76s, for example, I'll play from 1st position if I think I won't see a raise. I used to play real tight in the early rounds, and found that too often I got to the late levels, but with a smaller stack. As soon as I started playing more hands early, and hitting those one or two big ones, I would get to the later rounds with a BIG stack, and my win % went way up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you consider not-so-good hands? Two big cards?

76s can better than KJo, especially up front, for example because what are you going to do on a flop of K63 with a two flush? You have no idea where anyone else is on the K and you could be against a four flush and middle pair or something. 76s also has the benefit of deception.

I'm not saying play 76s every time, but its far from a complete trash hand in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say 76s was complete trash. In first position, however, it's value is greatly reduced. Here's an example of something crappy I'd play in late position, early on, if there is no raise:

97o
53s
85s

Something like that.