View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Thanks for the Advice

Hey Balt,
I can relate totally. I did total immersion in the poker scene for a couple of years.
And I was only break-even on average. So can't say that I'd not have burned out If
I could say "I was a kick-but win xx BB and hour" guy. Never played above 10-20
either so can't say about the "big games" either.
But let's face it... if beat the game is easy for you... and you don't want to do it for
a living... it's going to get boring. Consider if you could shoot par at golf everytime...
Granted 40 million dollar endorsment contracts would be real excite a la T. Woods. Must
be nice.
On the other hand... even if you did do it for a living... then it would just be work. And
at some point... 'less it's your first love... it'll get boring too. The game *is* work. You
have to *think* at all times... or at least when the moves you have to make aren't
totally clear. Besides, no Victoria's Secret models mary 4-8 players do they? I mean
only Celebrity and other high buck careers that pack that elite socio-economic sort of
status really keep people going anyway, right? Ok... Ok.. so maybe Medical Doctors and
some other moralistica careers keep people deeply satisfied too. But in general I think
most folks are trapped in hum-drum s*ck crap working class-dom anyway... and feel they
are missing the "big time" from time to time anyway. So you're not alone.
So anyways, I've been off the scene for couple of years. With only $5 games here
in Colorado to go too... only been up there a few times. Lost worse than I ever did
at the Mirage on a percentage basis. But... I'm mainly a lowly stud player. It's mostly
HE here. So gotta learn new tricks... adjust, blah blah blah.
But... after being off the strip for 3 years I do miss hitting the scene and having the
freedom to "work" my own hours etc. I'm still here reading 2+2 forums right?
And well... I always found it interesting to play in other regions. Tunica, the river boats
around Indiana, some other spots. Haven't been to Foxwoods yet.
So... bottom line... take some time off... try some new venues. See how you feel.
Personally, I suspect most folks who don't make a living from it fall in and out of the
game. I find it the same with my other hobby type things... be it cars, music, golf,
just whatever. I just don't think humans were engineered to do one focused thing
all the time.
Sincerely
Frank</pre><hr>